Monday, September 19, 2011

The Maltese Falcon

I really enjoyed everything about this book. Its a classic detective novel and was just plain fun to read. We've been talking about how books relate to movies and how people have grown so accustomed to the way films work. While I was reading the book I actually pictured Humphry Bogart as the main character Sam Spade immediatly after I heard the characters description. Today in class I learned that there was actually a movie made from the novel and that Huphrey Bogart did actually play the Sam Spade. It kind of weirded me out how what I was seeing was exactly what I had pictured in my head; the way he looked, the way he spoke, and interacted with the different characters was all exactly the same.  

Some of the differences that I was able to notice in the movie where kind of disappointing. For example before the movie even actually begins it gives you the history of the falcon and lets you know exactly what it is; it even shows you an image of it. In the novel you aren't told what the falcon is until maybe halfway through the book and it sort of adds to the mystery or the anticipation. Also, although most of the detail described in the book shows up in the movie its only there for a second; you can't really take it in. In the novel you can really savor the descriptions and immerse yourself in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment