Monday, September 19, 2011

The Day of the Locust

This book was definitly different from your average read. It didn't follow the same structure that stories usually do where there is an obvious progression of events with a problem and a resolution at the end. With the exeption of a few scenes that I really enjoyed, the set up of the novel made me uncomfortable. Nothing really moved or porgressed; you just watched the characters in different scenes living thier miserable lives and nothing gets better. When I turned the last page and realized I was at the end of the book I kept flipping the page back and forth feeling I must have missed something because a story dosn't end like that.

Mr. Steiling described the book as a painting; your not looking at it as a story that progresses but rather something that sits there unchanging for you to observe as a whole. Hearing this actually made me a lot more comfortable with the story. Maybe because this is a form of observation that I am comfortable with even though it is not usually in the medium of text.

No comments:

Post a Comment