Monday, September 19, 2011

The Hunger Games

When I read the back cover of The Hunger Games I immediately recalled several similar stories in movies, books, and even ancient history. The idea of people being pit against each other, fighting to the death, and the last man standing wins, has been used over and over. Despite how familiar the story was I still found myself really enjoying the book and always eager to find out what was going to crop up next. Outside the gladiatorial aspect of the book there were other appealing angles such as the different social classes, the relationship between Katniss and her family, and her odd and confusing "love" interests.

Through the different social classes the author portrays opposing ideologies. Some of which I even felt like I could relate to. Naturally I don't think it too likely that I will need to be fighting for my life by killing other people in a sick and twisted game any time soon, but I do relate to other parts. In Katniss's hometown all of her time is devoted to hunting and gathering food to keep her and her family alive. Until she reaches the much wealthier capitol Katniss does not show much concern for anything outside of surviving. The population of the capitol however seemed to be concerned with nothing but luxury.

When I think about my future I do now wonder how nice my car or home will be but rather if I will have them. I don't just worry about wether I will be able to get a well paying job or not in my chosen field of graphic design, but worry if I will be able to get a job at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment